Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Philippine Fashion Week Holiday 2011: "10"


Can't believe there's less than half a year left. I had to attend to a number of personal matters in the latter half of June, and now it's July--time flies by so fast. To start off the month, I present you with a long-overdue visual treat: Philippine Fashion Week! I watched the Tuesday shows last May (see, overdue) for the thepoc.net, which included "10": ten designers and ten collections, all from the University of Santo Tomas. Some took a literal approach to the theme by showcasing collections using their school colors or symbols, while others grabbed the opportunity to present their signature styles to the fullest.

Here are a few of my favorites from the show. Good seat = good shots!


Edgar San Diego was one of the more literal designers, featuring UST landmarks steam-printed onto his designs. He also used the UST colors of black and gold. I'm liking the top half of this outfit more than the bottom half.

Another Edgar San Diego creation, I love the details.

I liked Jonny Abad's collection, partly because I'm partial to fall tones, and he used mostly shades of burnt orange and brown shot through with black/navy. I loved the intricate weave detailing that was present in each of his designs, which is showcased in its full glory here. Also, Danica Magpantay is a really gorgeous, dusky girl in person.

Noel Crisostomo's collection made me want to watch the movie In the Mood for Love, which he used as a peg. The cutout details of each outfit were simply stunning, and how cute are those fur cuffs? Not sure how I'll wear them, but I kinda want a pair. Haha!

Nolie Hans, on the other hand, made me feel like I was witnessing one very glamorous Santacruzan. 

This gown reminded me of the sea for some reason...

...while this one reminded me of stained glass. I'm kinda liking it, actually.

Raise your hand if you watched America's Next Top Model, and recognized this girl. Yep, it's Claire! She is apparently half-Filipino. I loved seeing her walk because she had this self-assured, confident aura that didn't come across as cold or robotic.

The last collection was a mishmash of outfits made by the late Salvacion Lim Higgins. Minus the huge red tassel in front, I would've thought this particular design was conceptualized and made recently. It was pretty interesting, though, and somewhat surreal to have been able to see her designs on the runway. It made me want to know more about her and what she was able to do for Philippine fashion.

Final walk

Other outfits from Noel Crisostomo's collection

I'm glad I got to watch a show with such variety. It was a good introduction to PFW! If you'd like to see more of the outfits (because there were a lot, believe me), you can check out thepoc.net's article on it. The ones I have here are admittedly just sneak peeks!

1 comment:

  1. ooh, I personally love san diego's design! they're so elegant =D

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to get feedback. Thanks for your comments. :)