Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

Tomorrow would mark a month since my last entry! Goodness. The sales conference I've been working on for the past few months finally sprung into being in the first few days of March, and now that's over, I'm refocusing on my daily work tasks and on getting my social life back, haha. Beauty-wise, I had the opportunity to road-test a few products I've had for awhile (e.g. UD Naked!), so expect reviews on those hopefully soon.

One of the products I've taken to using lately are the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. Prior to these, I have never tried any matte shade, so I was pretty excited when I ordered the Milan shade from Digital Traincase along with my NYX Round Lipsticks. Moving forward, I wanted to try giving red a go, starting with a subtler finish. I was able to purchase Amsterdam from Pure Beauty in Serendra.





NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams retail for only P290 + shipping (free if your purchase is P400+) on DT, but in Pure Beauty it's P379. The latter is still actually quite reasonable if you factor in overhead costs especially given the area, but if you plan to purchase multiple shades, online is the way to go. Oh, and if you're planning to buy from the NYX website, Google the shades you want. The swatches are mostly rubbish.

My tube of Milan looks nothing like that swatch.



The tubes are colored according to shade, and the handle is a rubberized black--very nice to hold, but prone to staining and hard to clean. Each tube is labeled with the shade name, batch code, item description and ingredients. The lip creams are cruelty-free (look for the rabbit icon) and hypoallergenic. It has a standard doe-foot applicator that tends to pick up a wee bit too much product, since it's quite pigmented.


Which brings us to the product itself: it's pigmented and goes on smoothly. It's easy to spread around and be precise about it as well, using the applicator. It dries to a soft matte finish that just looks absolutely lovely. Also it has the most incredible scent I've ever had the opportunity to experience in a lip product; it's like rich buttercream chiffon cake. Mmm.

However... as a person with perennially dry lips, using this lip cream is a little more challenging. Exfoliation with a damp toothbrush is a must, and so is a layer of my favorite lipbalm. If I miss either, the matte finish of the lip cream makes my lips into a flaky, colorful mess in less than half a workday. Also, if I don't give the lipbalm enough time to settle, the lip cream slides around and dries up in streaks if not blended properly. The nature of the finish clings to the lips but results in a shorter wear time in particularly dry areas.

Amsterdam is an in-your-face red, and I chuckle at the appropriate shade name;
Milan is a pretty pink that gives just enough brightness to the face.

Despite the many cons and additional prep time, I am enamored by the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. I absolutely love the finish because it's so different from what I usually wear, and the shades I have are gorgeous. I'm willing to go the extra step of caring for my lip area with these, but they are not perfect. Still, I'm planning to purchase more when I have a little extra cash to spare--eyeing Antwerp and Monte Carlo next.

Have you tried the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams? What are your thoughts?

15 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try these in ages! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome, aisyah! hope you like them as much as I do :)

      Delete
  2. I miss you Kari! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too! I may need a new hairstyle/color. Hmm can you help/recommend? ;p

      Delete
  3. Great review! The red is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's a favorite :D thanks Vintage!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you on a lot of points. :) I like the scent of this, makes me wanna eat it! And the extra steps of exfoliating and moisturizing are necessary for this, but I don't mind a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ida! at first I found it hassling, but then the finish really grew on me. now I just want more! :p

      Delete
  6. Karinessssssss i miss you! :) great review... can't wait to see you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kooooooookie! I have to be part of your portfolio! haha :) meetup soon?

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes! We're organizing a photo shoot, planning the details etc tapos I'll let you know :)

      Delete
  7. Ah, I've been wondering about the lip creams. Though I do suffer from terribly dry lips and flakey ones at that (despite my efforts at exfoliation, it never seems to last), so I'm a bit hesitant to take the plunge. But gosh, look at that red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celeste, same here. My lips often dry out due to office airconditioning and I'd have to re-exfoliate by lunchtime. When I first tried this I thought I wouldn't like it so much, but it really grew on me! It's worth buying at least once. :) Amsterdam is a gorgeous color, I promise.

      Delete
  8. my favorite is addis ababa and istanbul from digitaltraincase

    Am a new follower of your blog. Followed you through GFC. Please follow mine,too!

    xoxo,,
    http://carmiscaprice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to get feedback. Thanks for your comments. :)